This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 9 (Dear Mr. Winston). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Picture Summary – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Antonyms – interactive notebook
• Antonyms – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations – Students take notes on the evidence that helps them draw a conclusion about an event in the story.
• Conclusions and Generalizations 2- Students take notes on the evidence that helps them draw two conclusions about an event in the story.
• Conclusions and Generalizations 3 – Students read the supporting details and draw conclusions.
• Asking Questions - Students ask questions about the story as they read. They record any answers found.
• Asking Questions - Students ask Who What Where When Why and How questions about the story.
• Character Study - Students complete a Character Map about Cara. They use 2 adjectives to describe Cara. They support those adjectives with 2 pieces of evidence from the text.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Writing from a Character’s Point of View - Students write as Mr. Winston, responding to Cara’s letter.
• Field Guide to Snakes – text-dependent questions
• Field Guide to Snakes – Reading a Chart
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Antonyms - Students cut and paste words next to their antonyms.
• Figurative Language - Students identify each sentence as an example of a simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, or an idiom.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Alphabetical Order
• Compound Sentences - Students add coordinating conjunctions and commas to sentences.
• Complex Sentences - Students add subordinating conjunctions to sentences. Students also eliminate periods and join clauses.
• Compound and Complex Sentences - Students add coordinating conjunctions, subordinating conjunctions, and commas to sentences as needed. Students also eliminate periods and join clauses.
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.