This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 1 (A Package for Mrs. Jewls). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Structure – interactive notebook
• Story Elements – coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Identifying Fragments – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure – Students write about the characters, setting, and plot. They write about the conflict, the events, and the resolution.
• Story Elements – Students study examples of setting, characters, and plot. They color the puzzle pieces according to the type of story element.
• Story Summary - Students write a summary of the story. Transition words are provided. Students are challenged to use vocabulary words in their writing.
• Character Study – Students choose one of two important characters in the story. Students choose adjectives to describe the character and provide 2 pieces of evidence from the story to support each adjective.
��� Point of View – Students determine whether the story is written in first or third person. They make a short list of books in their classroom written in first and third person.
• A Package for Mrs. Jewls - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• Questioning Gravity – Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent questions about the article.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can an experiment clarify an idea?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Short Vowel Sound Sort - Students sort spelling words based on short vowel sounds.
• Identifying Fragments - Students study the examples. They color according to whether they are complete sentences or fragments.
• Correcting Fragments - Students correct the fragments by adding either a subject or predicate. Sentences that are complete are given a check mark by the student.
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 2
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.