This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 10 (Cougars). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Monitor and Clarify - interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Direct Quotations – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Main Ideas & Details Web – Students complete the graphic organizer, writing the main idea and 6 supporting details.
• Main Idea & Details – Students complete the graphic organizer, finding 2 main ideas. They support these main ideas with details from the text.
• Main Idea & Details: Main Idea Provided - Students support the provided main ideas with details from the text.
• Monitor & Clarify: Tricky Words – Students monitor their understanding as they read. They note tricky words in the text. They use context clues to define the words and then write dictionary definitions.
• Monitor & Clarify: Asking Questions – Students monitor their understanding as they read. They note tricky words in the text. They use context clues to define the words and then write dictionary definitions.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary: Root Words - Students determine the root word of each vocabulary word. They use the root word to write their own definition. Then, students use the dictionary to define the vocabulary word.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary - Students complete the table, writing the dictionary definition of 5 domain-specific words. They write the words into sentences that relate to the text.
• Cougars Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• “Purr-fection” - Students answer questions and draw their visualization.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can a scientist learn by observing the behaviors of a particular animal?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Antonyms - Students use their knowledge of the vocabulary words to match each word to its antonym.
• Shades of Learning - Students study the list of words. They write the words in order of intensity on the arrows. For one set, students complete the list of words before ordering.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Create a Word Search- Students make their own word search. They write the spelling words into the grid, hiding the words among other letters.
• Direct Quotations - Students correct sentences, adding commas and quotation marks.
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.