This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication date of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 11 (Dangerous Crossing). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect - interactive notebook
• Visualizing – drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Subject and Object Pronouns – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects in the text.
• Cause and Effect: Fill-in – Students read the story and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Visualizing - Students draw a scene from the story that they were able to visualize as they read.
• Visual Elements – Students choose 3 illustrations, or visual elements, to analyze. They describe the visual element, note the page number, and explain what the author’s purpose may have been in including each visual element. (2014 & 2017)
• Flashback – Students describe the flashback used in the text. They infer the reason for the author's use of this technique and then draw their visualization of the flashback. (2011/2012)
• Dangerous Crossing Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Revolution and Rights - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about Revolution and Rights. (2014 & 2017)
• Preparing for Hurricanes - Students write the main idea and supporting details for each section of text. (2011/2012)
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can individuals do to help shape a new government?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Reference Materials - Students use the dictionary to find the definition, part of speech, pronunciation, and syllabication of 4 domain-specific vocabulary words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: VCCV Pattern- Students write their spelling words with 2 colors. They write the VCCV pattern in one color and the remainder of the word in the other color.
• Subject and Object Pronouns - Students cut and paste the subject or object pronoun that matches the antecedent. They underline the antecedent, and color the pronoun according to whether it is a subject or object pronoun.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More lessons available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.