This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 12 (Can’t You Make Them Behave, King George?). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Fact and Opinion - interactive notebook
• Fact and Opinion - coloring
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Similes – interactive notebook (2014 & 2017)
• Common Sayings – interactive notebook (2011/2012)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Fact and Opinion – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting facts and opinions in the text.
• Fact and Opinion: Classifying – Students read each sentence and determine whether it is a fact or opinion.
• Fact and Opinion: Extended Practice - Students color the teapots according to whether the sentence is a fact or an opinion.
• Asking Questions – Students color the teapots according to whether the sentence is a fact or an opinion.
• Asking Questions: Graphic Organizer - Students ask questions as they read, categorized by I wonder why, My question is, Why did, I’m wondering, I’m confused about, and How?
• Can’t You Make Them Behave, King George? Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Tea Time - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about the text. (2014 & 2017)
• Zeus and the Titans - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about the text. (2011/2012)
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can people’s differences of opinion lead to a revolution?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Figurative Language Word Cards - Figurative language word cards are available to be cut and hung for use on a Word Wall. The cards give the meaning of: metaphor, simile, alliteration, personification, idiom, onomatopoeia, and hyperbole. (2014 & 2017)
• Figurative Language Classification - Students read examples of figurative language and classify each example as a metaphor, simile, alliteration, personification, idiom, onomatopoeia, or hyperbole. (2014 & 2017)
• Using Context - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word. (2011/2012)
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Triangle Words- Students write their spelling words one letter at a time, creating a triangular shape.
• Past, Present, and Future Tense - Students write 3 sentences in the past tense, 3 sentences in the present tense, and 3 sentences in the future tense.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More lessons available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.