This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 14 (James Forten.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Summary - interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Commas and Semicolons – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events – Students note the sequence of events in James Forten’s life. They write these events in the correct order.
• Numbering the Sequence – Students read through the events in James Forten’s life and number the events in the correct order.
• Summarizing - Students write a summary of the story. They include the main characters, setting, and as many vocabulary words as possible.
• Main Idea and Details Web – Students write details in the web about James Forten’s life.
• Main Idea and Details - Students write 2 details to support the main ideas provided.
• James Forten Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Modern Minute Man Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What events or feelings would lead someone to fight for freedom?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Greek and Latin Word Parts - Students use their understanding of the roots port, graph, ject, and meter to match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: ABC Order - Students write their spelling words into alphabetical order.
• Commas and Semicolons - Students correct each sentence by adding commas and semicolons where needed. They cut and paste the ship at the bottom next to the sentence that names the reason for the comma usage (ex: items in a series).
More lessons available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.