This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 15 (We Were There, Too!) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study - interactive notebook
• Monitor and Clarify – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary – drawing
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the ways the two students are the same and different.
• Compare and Contrast Paragraphs – Students write two paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details. Students write a paragraph about Sybil and Joseph’s similarities and differences.
• Character Study- Students write two paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details. Students write a paragraph about Sybil and Joseph’s similarities and differences.
• Monitor and Clarify: Tricky Words – Students write down any tricky words they read. They use context clues to write the definition of the words and then use the dictionary to define the word.
• Text and Graphic Features - Students answer the questions about text features. They will need to look in the book to provide text evidence. (2014 & 2017)
• Objective Tone - Students analyze the tone of the text. They write about how the text would change if not written in an objective tone. (2011/2012)
• We Were There, Too! Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Patriotic Poetry Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How are patriotism and courage related?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Drawings and Context Clues - Students draw examples of four vocabulary words. Then, they use context clues to complete six sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Prefixes - Students use what they know about the meaning of the prefixes to write definitions for each word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Create a Word Search - Students write their spelling words in a grid, hiding them among other letters.
• Transitions - Students read the paragraph about Paul Revere’s ride. They choose transition words from the box to add to the paragraph in order to provide clarity to the writing. (2014 & 2017)
• Easily Confused Verbs - Students complete the sentences with the correct verb. (2011/2012)
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More lessons available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.