This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 16 (Lunch Money.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose - interactive notebook
• Author’s Purpose – coloring
• Monitor and Clarify – interactive notebook
• How to Writing - drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Word Origins - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the author’s purpose for writing the story.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details – Students support the author’s purpose: to entertain the reader with a realistic story about a relatable character.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details - Students support the author’s purpose: to persuade the reader to follow through on their plans.
• Author’s Purpose: Classifying and Coloring – Students read the book titles and color them according to whether the author’s purpose is to entertain, inform, or persuade.
• Monitor and Clarify - Students complete the graphic organizer, asking questions as they read such as I wonder... I’m confused about...How...I wonder why...Why... I don’t understand
• Visual Elements – Students choose 3 illustrations or visual elements to describe. They note the page number and why they think the author included the visual element. Lastly, they note the tone set through the visual element. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Lunch Money Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• How-to Writing and Illustrating - Students choose something they are good at doing or creating. They write the directions and illustrate the step-by-step process.
• Zap! Pow! Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “In what ways can illustrations enhance a reader’s experience?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Word Origins - Students look up each word in the dictionary to determine the origin (Spanish, French, German, or Italian). They color the words according to their origin.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Sort: -ed and -ing - Students sort their spelling words according to ending, writing them in columns for –ed and –ing.
• Adjectives - Students underline the adjective in each sentence. In the table, they note the noun the adjective describes as well as whether the adjective shows origin.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.