This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 17 LAFFF.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Elements - interactive notebook
• Point of View – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure – Students complete the graphic organizer, writing about the characters, setting, conflict, events leading to the resolution, and the resolution.
• Story Summary – Students write a summary of the story using the transition words provided. They are challenged to include vocabulary words in their summary.
• Character Study - Students complete the Character Map, choosing one character to analyze. They choose two adjectives to describe the character and support those adjectives with details from the story.
• Making Predictions – Students complete the chart, making predictions as they read. They note the story details that lead to each prediction.
• Making Inferences - Students complete the chart, making inferences as they read. They note the story details and background knowledge that lead to each inference.
• Point of View: Angela – Students write a journal entry from Angela’s point of view about the day she time traveled.
• Point of View: Peter - Students write a journal entry from Peter’s point of view about the day Angela used his time machine to time travel.
• LAFFF Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• From Dreams to Reality Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What role does imagination play in the invention process?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Reference Materials - Students use the dictionary to write the dictionary definition, find the syllabication and pronunciation, and note the part of speech of 4 domain-specific vocabulary words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling: Root Words & Adding –ed and –ing - Students determine the root word of each spelling word. They then note the spelling rule for each spelling (example: drop the e and add –ing.)
• Adverbs - Students underline the adverb in each sentence. They tell whether it is an adverb of frequency or intensity.
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.