This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 19 (Darnell Rock Reporting.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Summarizing - interactive notebook
• Characterization – interactive notebook
• Persuasive Text – poster drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Pronouns - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, taking notes about the author’s purpose for writing the story.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details – Students support the author’s purpose – to persuade the reader to stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone – with supporting details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details - Students support the author’s purpose – to persuade the reader to think of the needs of others – with supporting details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Classifying – Students look back in their Journeys textbook to find examples of stories written to inform, entertain, and persuade. Students explain how they know.
• Summarizing - Students write a summary of the story, using the transition words provided. They are challenged to use vocabulary words in their summary.
• Characterization – Students complete the Character Map about Darnell or Linda. Students choose two adjectives to describe the character and support these words with text evidence.
• Darnell Rock Reporting Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Volunteer! Persuasive Text: Creating a Poster - Students use information from the text to create a persuasive poster, encouraging students to volunteer in their community.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “Why is it important to be aware of your community’s needs?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Suffixes –able, -ible, -ist, and -ism - Students complete the table, sorting the words based upon their suffix. Students name the root word, if there is one.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Suffix Sort - Students sort the spelling words by suffix.
• Pronouns - Students underline the pronoun in each sentence. They color the pencils according to indefinite, possessive, or interrogative pronoun.
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.