This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 2 (A Royal Mystery). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme – interactive notebook
• Characterization – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefix Sort – cut and paste
• Types of Sentences – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer in order to determine the theme. They take notes on the setting, cast of characters, and character’s actions. These details lead to the theme.
• Theme: Details – Students determine the theme and then give 3 story details that support the theme.
• Theme (provided) - Students support the given theme with 3 details from the story.
• Asking Questions – Students record their questions as they read. They record any answers they find.
• Asking Who, What, Where, When, Why and How Questions – Students record questions as they read, classifying them by Who, What, Where, When, Why and How.
• Characterization - Students complete the character map about Rena or Althea. They write 2 adjectives that describe the character and then support those adjectives with details from the text.
• A Royal Mystery - Students use evidence from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• The Princess and the Pea – Students complete a story map about the story.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can art and performance help people understand a text?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Matching Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Prefix Sort – Students cut and paste words according to their prefix.
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning - Students use their understanding of the meaning of non-, un-, dis-, and mis- to define the given words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Long Vowel Sounds - Students sort spelling words based on long vowel sound.
• Classifying Sentences - Students study the sentences and classify them as declarative, exclamatory, interrogative, or imperative.
• Changing Sentences - Students change sentences. They change declarative sentences to interrogatives, interrogatives to imperatives, exclamatory to interrogative, and imperatives to declaratives.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.