This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 2 (Ultimate Field Trip 5). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for the Lesson 2 supplement for Journeys 2014 & 2017 (A Royal Mystery.)
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Text and Graphic Features – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefix Sort – cut and paste
• Types of Sentences – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the text and graphic features as they read. They write the feature as well as its purpose.
• Asking Questions – Students record their questions as they read. They record any answers they find.
• Asking Who, What, Where, When, Why and How Questions – Students record questions as they read, classifying them by Who, What, Where, When, Why and How.
• Author’s Purpose - Students complete the graphic organizer, taking notes about the author’s purpose for writing the text.
• Supporting the Author’s Purpose - Students complete the graphic organizer, writing details that support the author’s purpose (to inform readers about how the U.S. Space Academy teaches kids about the training of astronauts).
• Ultimate Field Trip 5 Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Profile of a Spacewalker Text Questions – Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can graphic help you learn about space?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Matching Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Prefix Sort – Students cut and paste words according to their prefix.
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning - Students use their understanding of the meaning of non-, un-, dis-, and mis- to define the given words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Long Vowel Sounds - Students sort spelling words based on long vowel sound.
• Classifying Sentences - Students study the sentences and classify them as declarative, exclamatory, interrogative, or imperative.
• Changing Sentences - Students change sentences. They change declarative sentences to interrogatives, interrogatives to imperatives, exclamatory to interrogative, and imperatives to declaratives.
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.