This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 20 (The Black Stallion.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Elements - interactive notebook
• Picture Summary – drawing
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the most important characters, setting, and the plot (the story events, conflict, and resolution.)
• Picture Summary – Students draw a summary of the story, including the conflict, main events, and resolution.
• Asking Questions - Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Asking Questions – Students record their questions in the graphic organizer, with sentence starters such as “I wonder why... My question is... Why did... I’m wondering ...I’m confused about...How...”
• Theme - Students take notes on the story to determine the theme. They write 3 details that support the theme.
• Theme: Supporting Details – Students write 3 details that support the theme “Don’t give up.”
• Theme: Supporting Details - Students write 3 details that support the theme “Treat animals with respect and they will learn to trust you.”
• The Black Stallion Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Horse Power: Main Idea and Details - Students support three main ideas with supporting details.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can a person learn by building a relationship with an animal?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues and Drawing Words - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word. Then, they draw examples of 5 vocabulary words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Creating a Word Search - Students write their spelling words into a grid, creating a word search. They hide the spelling words among other letters and they trade with a friend to complete the search!
• Proper Mechanics and Writing Titles - Students correct the sentences, capitalizing titles, underlining the titles of longer works, and putting the titles of shorter works in quotation marks.
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.