This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 20 (Don Quixote and the Windmills). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for the Lesson 20 supplement for Journeys 2014 & 2017 (Black Stallion.)
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the character’s thoughts, actions, and words that help them better understand Don Quixote.
• Characterization – Students complete the Character Map. They choose 2 adjectives to describe Don Quixote and support those adjectives with details from the text.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Asking Questions: Prompts - Students record their questions in the graphic organizer, with sentence starters such as “I wonder why... My question is... Why did... I’m wondering ...I’m confused about...How...”
• Imagery - Students read each example of imagery. They explain how the imagery helps them to better understand the story. They draw a sketch of what the imagery brings to mind.
• Don Quixote and the Windmills Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• LitBeat: Live from La Mancha Text Questions – Students compare and contrast the two selections, noting their differences and similarities.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How do the beliefs of a character affect a story?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary Definition Match - Students match each word to its dictionary definition.
• Idioms – Students match each idiom to its meaning.
• Spelling List – A list of spelling words is provided (2 lists to a page) for students to use for studying at home.
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Creating a Word Search - Students write their spelling words into a grid, creating a word search. They hide the spelling words among other letters and they trade with a friend to complete the search!
• Contractions - Students write each group of words into a contraction. Then, they draw lines to connect contractions to the words they represent.
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 19
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.