This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 21 (Tucket’s Travels.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Visualizing - interactive notebook
• Figurative Language – interactive notebook
• Picture Summary – drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Verbs “be” and “have” - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events – Students complete the graphic organizer, writing important story events in the order in which they occurred.
• Sequence of Events: Number the Events – Students number the story events into the correct sequence.
• Sequence of Events: Transition Words - Students number the story events into the correct sequence.
• Visualizing: Picture Summary – Students draw their visualization of a favorite scene from the story, adding dialogue and labels as needed.
• Tucket’s Travels Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Wild Weather: Main Idea and Details - Students read the sections and determine one main idea from each section. They support the main ideas with two supporting details.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What does it mean to have good instincts?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Shades of Meaning - Students study the list of words and write them in order of intensity. Then, they write 3 more words that relate to the words “small” and “walk.” When done, they write these words in order of intensity, as well.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling; Triangles - Students write their words as triangle words, adding one letter at a time so that the words take the shape of triangles. Example provided.
• Plural Nouns - Students color the tree next to the verb that completes the sentence with the correct subject-verb agreement.
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 24
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.