This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 22 (The Birchbark House.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme - interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Present Tenses - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer, writing about the character’s qualities, motives, and actions, in order to determine the theme.
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the theme with details from the text.
• Story Summary - Students write a summary of the story using the transition words provided. They are challenged to use vocabulary words in their summary.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions as they read. They give the text details that lead to their predictions.
• Making Inferences - Students use text details and their own background knowledge to make inferences as they read.
• Visual Elements - Students choose 3 illustrations to describe. They write about why the author may have included these illustrations. What tone do the pictures help to covey? What information can the reader gain?
• The Birchback House Text Questions – Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Four Seasons of Food Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about the story.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can traditions influence a person’s thoughts and feelings?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Reference Materials - Students use the dictionary to write the definition for 4 domain-specific vocabulary words. They write the words’ syllabication and parts of speech as well. Then, students use a thesaurus to write at least one synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Rainbow Words- Students write the spelling words using the colors of the rainbow. Each letter is a different color.
• Perfect Tenses - Students color the sentences with perfect present tense black, sentences with past perfect tense brown, and sentences with future perfect tense gray.
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 24
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.