This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 23 (Vaqueros: America’s First Cowboys.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Noting Facts - interactive notebook
• Text Summary – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Adages and Proverbs – coloring
• Easily Confused Words – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the text and graphic features, the page numbers where they are located, and the information given.
• Text Summary – Students write a summary of the section entitled The Vaquero Legend. They begin with Mexico’s independence from Spain and end with the implications of the Civil War on vaqueros.
• Main Idea and Details Web - Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the main idea (Vaqueros are an important part of America’s history) with details from the text.
• Determining Main Idea and Supporting Details – Students complete the graphic organizer, determining two main ideas and providing supporting details.
• Supporting the Main Idea - Students complete the graphic organizer, giving supporting details for the main ideas provided.
• Vaqueros: America’s First Cowboys Text Questions – Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Rhyme on the Range Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions about the poems and draw their visualization.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What kinds of lessons were learned by people who lived in the old West?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Definition Matching - Students match each vocabulary word to its definition.
• Adages and Proverbs - Students write the meaning of each adage or proverb. Color the hats next to the adages you’ve heard before.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Vowels and Consonants- Students write the meaning of each adage or proverb. Color the hats next to the adages you’ve heard before.
• Easily Confused Words - Students cut and paste the correct irregular or helping verb into each sentence.
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 24
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.