This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 24 (Rachel’s Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect - interactive notebook
• Point of View – drawing (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects in the text.
• Cause and Effect: Fill-in – Students read the story and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect Practice - Students practice working with cause and effect independent of the text. They create reasonable causes for the effects provided, and create reasonable effect for the causes given.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words - Students analyze their own understanding of the text. They note any tricky words they find as they read. They use context clues to infer meaning and then the dictionary to define the words.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Book Recommendation – Students complete the book recommendation about Rachel’s Journal, writing about the author’s purpose, whether they would be Rachel’s friend, and inferring who may enjoy the story.
• Point of View - Students write about the day Rachel got lost from Ma, Pa, or Will’s point of view. They must use what they know about the characters in the story to write creatively from another character’s point of view. Students may illustrate their journal, as well. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Rachel’s Journal: Text Questions – Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Westward to Freedom: Main Idea & Details and Using a Timeline - Students use evidence from the text to determine main ideas and supporting details, as well as work with a timeline.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “Why would a pioneer traveler record events in a journal?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students use what they know about the meaning of the vocabulary words to match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Prefix Sort- Students write the words in the correct columns according to prefix.
• Making Comparisons - Students underline each comparative and superlative adjective and adverb. They also complete sentences, adding the correct form of each adjective and adverb.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.