This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 26 (Animals on the Move.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Main Idea and Details - interactive notebook
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Picture Summary – drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students notice the text and graphic features used in the text. They list the graphic organizer, its page number, and the information it gives.
• Visualizing – Students draw a visualization they had while reading. They describe the visualization, as well.
• Visualizing: Picture Summary - Students use the text to draw the life of a salmon from birth to its first journey to the ocean.
• Animals on the Move Text Questions – Students use details from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Skywoman’s Rescue: Story Elements - Students complete the graphic organizer, taking notes about the important characters, setting, plot events, and the conflict and resolution.
• The Whale and Wild Geese: Poetry Connection – Students answer questions about the two poems.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Vocabulary: Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary word into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: ABC Sort - Students write their spelling words into alphabetical order.
• Possessive Nouns - Students rewrite each sentence, adding apostrophes as needed to show possession.
More materials available for Unit 6!
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 29
Journeys Lesson 30
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.