This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 27 (Mysteries at Cliff Palace.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme - interactive notebook
• Analyze and Evaluate – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffix Sort – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the character’s qualities, actions, and setting, in order to determine the theme.
• Theme: Details – Students determine the theme and support it with 3 details from the text.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Book Recommendation - Students complete a book recommendation about the text.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words – Students analyze their own understanding of the text by noting any tricky words they read. Students use context clues to write a possible meaning, as well as use a dictionary to define the words.
• Mysteries at Cliff Palace Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Cave of the Crystals Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions.
• Places and Names & Los Libros: Poetry Connection – Students answer questions about the poems, as well as draw their visualization.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Vocabulary: Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary word into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Suffix Sort - Students cut and paste the words in the correct columns, according to suffix.
• Suffix Meanings - Students use their knowledge of the meanings of the suffixes –less, -ness, and –ment to match words to their definitions.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Word Search - Students write the spelling words into a grid, hiding them among other letters. They trade with a friend to complete the word search!
• Spelling Sort - Students sort the spelling words according to suffix. Suffixes sorted are: -ant, -ible, -ent, -ism, -ist, and –able.
• Abbreviations – Students correct each sentence using abbreviations in place of the italicized words.
More materials available for Unit 6!
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 29
Journeys Lesson 30
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.