This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 28 (Fossils: A Peek Into the Past.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Fact and Opinion - interactive notebook
• KWL Chart – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Idioms – drawing
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Fact and Opinion – Students take notes of the facts and opinions in the text.
• Fact and Opinion Classification – Students read sentences and classify them as fact or opinion.
• Asking Questions - Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Asking Questions – Students record their questions as they read, classifying them by I wonder...My question is...Why did...I’m confused about...and How...?
• Fossils: A Peek Into the Past Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Trapped in the Tar! Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions.
• Journey of the Wooly Mammoth & Fossils: Poetry Connection – Students answer questions about the poems.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Vocabulary: Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary word into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Idioms - Students draw the literal meaning of each idiom. Then they explain the actual meaning.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Rainbow Words - Students write the words, one letter at a time, in the colors of the rainbow.
• Greek Word Parts - Students sort the spelling words by Greek word part. Word parts include –graph, -phone, -scope, tele-, homo-, photo-, auto-, and micro-.
• Commons in Sentences – Students correct each sentence by adding commas where needed.
More materials available for Unit 6!
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 29
Journeys Lesson 30
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.