This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 29 (The Case of the Missing Deer.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Drawing Conclusions - interactive notebook
• Making Predictions and Inferences – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the details that help them to draw a conclusion and generalization.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Supporting Details – Students note the details that support the given conclusion and generalization.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Paragraph Form - Students write a paragraph, supporting a given generalization and a given conclusion.
• Making Predictions – Students write predictions as they read. They give the text details that led to their predictions.
• Making Inferences - Students write inferences as they read. They give the story details and background knowledge that helped the student to infer.
• The Case of the Missing Deer: Story Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Fossil Fish Found! Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions.
• Encounter & Deep in the Forest: Poetry Connection – Students answer questions about the poems.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Vocabulary: Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary word into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Latin Word Parts - Students sort the spelling words by Latin word part.
• Spelling: Triangle Words - Students write the words, one letter at a time, so that the words take the shape of a triangle.
• More Commas – Students rewrite the sentences, inserting commas where needed.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 6!
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 30
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.