This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 3 (Off and Running). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Idioms – interactive notebook
• Idiom Classification – coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast: Venn Diagram – Students complete the graphic organizer. They write about the ways Miata and Rudy are alike and different.
• Compare and Contrast: Paragraph – Students write paragraphs with topic sentences. They write about Miata’s and Rudy’s similarities as well as their differences.
• Making Predictions - Students make predictions as they read. They record their predictions as well as the story details that led to the prediction.
• Making Inferences – Students make inferences as they read. They record their inferences as well as the story details and background knowledge that led to the inference.
• Idioms – Students color the pictures next to idioms. They leave the other examples of figurative language white.
• Off and Running - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• Vote for Me! – Students answer questions about the students’ posters. Then, they use the tips they read to create a poster as though they are running for office.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “Why is determination a good quality for a politician to have?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Long Vowel Sound Sort - Students sort spelling words based on long vowel sound.
• Compound Sentences - Students correct each sentence, adding coordinating conjunctions and commas as needed.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 2 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE (2011/2012)
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.