This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 30 (Get Lost! The Puzzle of Mazes.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Main Idea and Details - interactive notebook
• Summarizing – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Word Origins - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Main Idea and Details Web – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the topic, a main idea, and 6 supporting details.
• Main Idea and Details – Students write two main ideas and 3 supporting details for each main idea.
• Supporting the Main Idea - Students support the given main ideas with details from the text.
• Summarizing – Students summarize the nonfiction text by writing the most important idea (main idea) of each section, as well as supporting details.
• Get Lost! The Puzzle of Mazes Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Journey to Cuzco Story Elements - Students complete the graphic organizer about the ancient myth. They take notes on the story elements: the main characters, setting, plot event, conflict, and resolution.
• The Best Paths & Compass Poetry Connection – Students answer comprehension questions about the poems.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Vocabulary: Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary word into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Word Origins - Students use the dictionary to find the origins of given words. The color the words according to the key.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Words 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: Vowels and Consonants - Students write the spelling words using two colors. One color is for writing consonants and one for the vowels.
• Using Colons - Students rewrite each sentence correctly, adding colons as needed.
• Using Parentheses – Students rewrite each sentence correctly, adding parentheses as needed.
More materials available for Unit 6!
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 29
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.