This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 4 (Double Dutch). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Picture Summary – interactive notebook
• Monitor and Clarify – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffix Sort – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events – Students record the important story events in the order they occurred.
• Sequence of Events: Number the Events – Students read the story events from Double Dutch. They number the events into the correct order.
• Story Summary - Students write a summary of the story using the transition words provided. They are challenged to use the vocabulary words in their summary.
• Monitor and Clarify – Students pay attention to their own understanding of the text. They write down any questions they have as they read.
• Double Dutch - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• Score! – Students answer questions about the poems.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can being active in sports improve someone’s attitude?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to the appropriate synonym.
• Suffix Sort - Students cut and paste the words into the correct column, based upon their suffix.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Rainbow Words - Students write the spelling words, one letter at a time, in the colors of the rainbow.
• Proper Nouns - Students complete the chart, naming proper nouns for each common noun.
• Capitalizing Proper Nouns - Students correct the sentences, circling the proper nouns that need to be capitalized and then rewriting the sentences correctly.
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.