This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, choose the lesson that aligns with the publication date of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 5 (Elisa’s Diary). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Plural Nouns – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the character’s qualities, motives, and actions. This will help determine the theme.
• Theme – Students determine the theme of the story. They support the theme with 3 details from the text.
• Theme: Supporting Details - Students support the provided theme with 3 details from the text.
• Visualizing: Picture Summary – Students make mental pictures as they read. They draw a picture summary of an important scene in the story.
• Sequence of Events - Students complete the graphic organizer, recording the most important events in the order in which they occurred. (2014 & 2017)
• Sequence of Events: Number the Events – Students number the story events into the correct order. (2014 & 2017)
• Idioms – Students draw a line to match the idiom to its meaning. (2011/2012)
• Elisa’s Diary: Text dependent questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• Words Free as Confetti: Poetry Connection - Students write words that are powerful, soft, playful, and warm. They draw a visualization from the poem. (2014 & 2017)
• From Tragedy to Triumph - Students analyze the meaning of perseverance and complete a timeline about the life of April Holmes. (2011/2012)
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can overcoming a challenge change someone’s life?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Suffixes –ful & -ly - Students use their understanding of the suffix meanings to define the given words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Word Search - Students create their own word search using the spelling words. They write the words into the grid and hide the words among other letters.
• Plural Nouns - For each singular noun, students color the correctly spelled plural nouns.
• Exact Nouns - Students rewrite each sentence, replacing the highlighted general noun with an exact noun.
An entire year of Journeys for your 5th grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 2 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE (2011/2012)
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.