This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 6 (Interrupted Journey: Saving Endangered Sea Turtles). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for the Lesson 6 supplement for Journeys 2014 & 2017 (Quest for the Tree Kangaroo.)
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Antonyms – cut and paste
• Antonyms – interactive notebook
• Verbs - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects in the text.
• Cause and Effect: Fill in – Students read pages 152-155 and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect: Fill in - Students read pages 156-162 and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect Practice – Students practice working with cause and effect independent of the text. They create reasonable causes for the effects provided, and create reasonable effect for the causes given.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Asking Questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How - Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Word Choice – Students complete the table, noting why the author may have chosen the words for the section headers (Stranded, Emergency, and Release).
• Interrupted Journey Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the text.
• Skywoman and the Turtle Story Structure – Students complete a story map, noting the main characters, setting, main problem, important plot events, and the resolution.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What effect can one person have on a stranded sea turtle?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Synonyms & Using Context Clues - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym. Then, they use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Antonyms - Students cut and paste each word next to its antonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: ABC Order - Students write their spelling words into alphabetical order.
• Verbs - Students underline the verb in each sentence. They circle any helping verbs. Then, they color the binoculars according to whether the verbs convey time, sequence, condition, or state.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Unit 2 BUNDLE (2011/2012)
Unit 2 BUNDLE (2014 & 2017)
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.