This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 6 (Quest for the Tree Kangaroo). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Antonyms – cut and paste
• Antonyms – interactive notebook
• Verbs - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects in the text.
• Cause and Effect: Fill in – Students read pages 176-185 and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect: Fill in - Students read pages 185-189 and complete the table, filling in the missing causes and effects.
• Cause and Effect Practice – Students practice working with cause and effect independent of the text. They create reasonable causes for the effects provided, and create reasonable effect for the causes given.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Asking Questions: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How - Students ask questions as they read, recording them in the table. They record any answers they find, as well.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary – Students complete the table, writing the dictionary definition of 4 domain-specific words (adaptive, habitat, preservation, and endangered.) They write new sentences with the vocabulary that relate to the text.
• Quest for the Tree Kangaroo Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the text.
• Why Koala Has No Tail Story Questions – Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions about the story.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “Why is it important to research and protect endangered animals?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Synonyms & Using Context Clues - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym. Then, they use context clues to complete sentences with the correct vocabulary word.
• Antonyms - Students cut and paste each vocabulary word next to its antonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: ABC Order - Students write their spelling words into alphabetical order.
• Verbs - Students underline the verb in each sentence. They circle any helping verbs. Then, they color the binoculars according to whether the verbs convey time, sequence, condition, or state.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.