This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, choose the lesson that aligns with the publication date of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 7 (Old Yeller). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study – interactive notebook
• Visualization – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Adages and Proverbs – coloring (2014 & 2017)
• Contradictory Adages – cut and paste (2014 & 2017)
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting Travis’ and Arliss’ actions and traits.
• Character Study – Students think about Travis and Arliss. They complete the Character Map, noting 2 adjectives to describe Travis or Arliss. They support those adjectives with details from the text.
• Visualizing - Students draw a picture of a visualization they had while reading. They describe the visualization in a written paragraph.
• Author’s Word Choice – Students read the sentences from the story, paying attention to the italicized word or words. They explain the significance of the italicized words. (2014 & 2017)
• Author’s Word Choice – Students read the 9 words in the chart. They brainstorm 3 or more words to replace the given words. They words they write should be powerful and convey meaning – ex: cry = whimper, whine, bawl. (2014 & 2017)
• Sensory Details – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting details that applied to their 5 senses. (2011/2012)
• Old Yeller Story Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• What Makes It Good? Text Questions – Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions about the text.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can dangerous situations bring people closer together?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Matching Definitions & Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word. They match 6 vocabulary words to their definitions.
• Adages and Proverbs - Students explain the meanings of 5 common adages. They color the dog next to the adages they have heard before. (2014 & 2017)
• Contradictory Adages - Students cut and paste adages next to their contradictory adage. (Ex: Birds of a feather flock together AND opposites attract.) They color the adage with which they agree and give reasons for their choice. (2014 & 2017)
• Idioms – Students draw a line from the idiom to its meaning. (2011/2012)
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Triangle Words - Students write their spelling words, one letter at a time, so that the words form a triangle.
• Direct and Indirect Nouns - Students underline the direct object in each sentence and circle the indirect object, if there is one.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.