This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 8 (Everglades Forever). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Author’s Purpose – coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Homophones – drawing
• Conjunctions – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, taking notes about the author’s purpose for writing the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Purpose Provided – Students support the author’s purpose (to persuade you that it is important to protect the Everglades) with details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Using Students’ Texts - Students determine the author’s purpose in 3 books they’re read this year.
• Author’s Purpose: Classifying – Students study the book titles and color the puzzle pieces according to their purpose (to inform, entertain, or persuade.)
• Analyze and Evaluate – Students complete the book recommendation about Everglades Forever.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words - Students analyze their own understanding of the text. They note any tricky words they find, write what they think the meaning may be, and then define the word using the dictionary.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary – Students complete the table, writing the dictionary definitions and then writing the vocabulary word into a new sentence that relates to the text.
• Everglades Forever Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the text.
• National Parks of the West: Facts - Students complete the table, writing 3 important facts from each section of the text.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What reasons do people have for protecting the environment?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Prefixes - Students use their understanding of the meaning of prefixes pre-, re-, pro-, and en- to match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: ABC order - Students write their spelling words in alphabetical order.
• Spelling: Homophones - Students illustrate 6 sets of homophones, demonstrating the difference between the words’ meanings.
• Conjunctions - Students correct each run-on sentence using coordinating conjunctions and subordinating conjunctions.
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.