This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 9 (Storm Warriors). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Characterization – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Compound Words – cut and paste
• Complex Sentences – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conjunctions and Generalizations – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the details that helps you draw a conclusion or generalization while reading.
• Supporting Conclusions and Generalizations – Students support the conclusions with three details from the text.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Paragraph Form - Students support one drawn conclusion and one generalization with details from the text.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions as they read. They give the text details that led to the predictions.
• Making Inferences – Students make inferences as they read. They give the text details and background knowledge that led to their inference.
• Characterization - Students complete the Character Map. They choose one character to study, give 2 adjectives that describe the character, and support the adjectives with details from the text.
• Storm Warriors Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions about the story.
• Pea Island’s Forgotten Heroes - Students use evidence from the text to answer comprehension questions about the text.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “Hoe can an act of courage reveal a person’s true nature?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students use their knowledge of the vocabulary words to match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling Sort- Students sort their spelling words according to whether the compound words have a space, a hyphen, or no space and no hyphen.
• Spelling: Compound Words - Students cut and paste the words so that together they create a compound word.
• Complex Sentences - Students use subordinating or correlative conjunctions to combine two separate sentences into one complex sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 5th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 6 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 10
Unit 2 BUNDLE (2014 & 2017)
Unit 2 BUNDLE (2011/2012)
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.