This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 5th grade.
This Journeys Grade 5 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 13 (They Called Her Molly Pitcher.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 5th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Conclusions and Generalizations - interactive notebook
• Visualizing - drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Regular and Irregular Verbs - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the details that help them draw a conclusion or generalization while reading.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Supporting Details – Students support the drawn conclusions with details.
• Conclusions and Generalizations - Students support one conclusion and one generalization in paragraph form.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words – Students analyze their own understanding of the story. They note any tricky words they read, what the word may mean using context clues, and then define the word using the dictionary.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Understanding Molly Pitcher - Students analyze Molly Pitcher and make a self-to-text connection.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Book Recommendation: Students complete a book recommendation, rating the book, writing about who may be interested in this story, and analyzing the author’s message to readers.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary - Students complete the table, defining domain-specific vocabulary words and then writing sentences that relate to the text, using these words.
• They Called Her Molly Pitcher Text Questions - Students use details from the story to answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• A Spy for Freedom Text Questions - Students use evidence from the text to answer questions.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How do individual acts of bravery shape history?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students define each word using the glossary. Then, they write each vocabulary into a sentence that shows they understand the meaning of the word.
• Vocabulary: Reference Materials - Students define 4 key words and use the dictionary to write their part of speech, pronunciation, and syllabication.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each - Students write their spelling words 3 times each.
• Spelling: VCCCV Pattern - Students complete the spelling words, writing in the VCCCV pattern.
• Regular and Irregular Verbs - Students write the past tense version of each verb. They color the cannons next to the verb depending upon whether the verb is regular or irregular.
More lessons available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.