This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 1 (The School Story). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters: Responding to Challenges – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the way the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions influence the way they respond to challenges.
• Understanding Characters: Change Over Time – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the way the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions influence the way they change over time.
• Understanding Characters: Supporting Details (1) – Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the provided statement about how the main character responds.
• Understanding Characters: Supporting Details (2) – Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the provided statement about how the main character changes over time.
• Asking Questions - Student complete the table, writing questions as they read, as well as any answers they find.
• Creating Text Questions – Students write text questions. They are challenged to write complex questions. Students trade papers with a partner, answering their partner’s questions.
• Dialogue – Students note how a character’s dialogue reveals their personality.. They write down the dialogue that best revealed the traits of each character. They also write down the personality revealed by the dialogue.
• The School Story Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about The School Story. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Eleven Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions about the story. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How can the choices you make affect relationships with other people?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Vocabulary: Prefixes - Students use their understanding of the meaning of each root word and prefix to define the given words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Short Vowel Sound Sort - Students write the spelling words into the correct columns according to short vowel sound.
• Spelling Practice: Writing Triangle Words - Students write their spelling words, one letter at a time, so that they take the shape of triangles.
• Grammar: Complete Sentences - Students correct the run-ons and fragments. They rewrite the sentences, correctly.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 1:
Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.