This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 10 (Children of the Midnight Sun). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Compare and Contrast – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Complex-Compound Sentences – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast: Graphic Organizer – Students complete the graphic organizer, looking for similarities and differences between the cultures’ people, places, and historical periods.
• Compare and Contrast: Supporting Details – Students write paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details that explain two major similarities and differences in the text.
• Writing Complex Sentences – Students write questions about the text, categorized by Who? What? When? What? How? and Why? Three of the questions should be complex. The questions will be answered by a partner.
• Asking Questions - Students ask questions about the text as they read. They record any answers they find, as well.
(Author's purpose is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Determining Author’s Purpose – Students determine the author’s purpose for writing the text. They support this purpose with details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose (Inform): Supporting Details – Students support the author’s purpose (to inform) with details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose (Persuade): Supporting Details - Students support the author’s purpose (to persuade) with details from the text.
• Children of the Midnight Sun Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about the text. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Native American Poetry Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about the poems. They also think critically about the poems, inferring and drawing a visualization.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What kinds of things might two different cultures have in common?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students use what they know about the meaning of each word to write a synonym for each vocabulary word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Endings and Suffixes - Students sort the spelling words according to ending and suffix.
• Spelling Practice: Vowels and Consonants - Students choose two colors to use when writing the spelling words. One color will be used for vowels and one will be used for consonants.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 2:
Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.