This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 11 (The Great Fire). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Sequence of Events – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Subject and Object Pronouns – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events: Graphic Organizer – Students complete the graphic organizer, recording the events in the order in which they occurred.
• Sequence of Events: Ordering the Events – Students order the events from October 8.
• Summarize – Students write a summary of the text. They are challenged to use the vocabulary words in the summary.
• Picture Summary - Students illustrate a picture summary of the text, adding dialogue as needed.
• Figurative Language Cards – Word Wall Cards are provided for teachers wanting to teach the terms simile, metaphor, personification, and onomatopoeia.
• Figurative Language: Classifying – Students read each example of figurative language. They classify it as simile, metaphor, personification, or onomatopoeia, and then explain why the author may have chosen to include the figurative language.
• The Great Fire Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Fire: Friend or Enemy? Arguments and Claims – Students use details to defend arguments and claims posed by the authors.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What things can people do to help prevent fires?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students use what they know about the meaning of each word to match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Suffixes - Students sort the words according to suffix.
• Spelling Practice: Triangle Words - Students write the spelling words one letter at a time until they take the shape of triangles.
• Subject and Object Pronouns - Students color the barns that have the correct pronoun form for each sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.