This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 12 (Airborn). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Structure – interactive notebook
• Main Idea and Details – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Using Pronouns Correctly – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the most important characters, setting, and plot events (including problem and solution.)
• Characterization – Students complete the Character Map. They analyze the main character, Matt, by determining two adjectives to describe him. They use text evidence to support these adjectives.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions as they read. They record the story events that led to their predictions.
• Making Inferences - Students make inferences as they read. They record the inferences, as well as the story events that influenced the inferences.
• Point of View – Students answer questions about the author’s point of view. They practice writing in first person, second person, and third person, as well.
• Airborn Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How do people react to emergencies in different ways?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
- Vocabulary: Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete the sentences with the vocabulary words.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students write a synonym for each vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Prefixes - Students use the prefix’s meaning to match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Prefixes - Students write each spelling word into the correct column based on the prefix.
• Spelling Practice: Creating a Word Search - Students write the spelling words into a grid, creating their own word search. They hide the words among other letters.
• Grammar: Using Pronouns Correctly - Students circle the pronoun in each sentence and underline the antecedent. They color the hook according to whether it is personal and possessive.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.