This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 13 (Onward). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Main Idea and Details – interactive notebook
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Simple and Perfect Verb Tenses – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Main Idea and Details: Web – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting a main idea and several supporting details.
• Main Idea and Details – Students note two main ideas and three supporting details for each idea.
• Supporting the Main Idea – Students support the two main ideas provided.
• Monitor and Clarify - Students monitor their own understanding as they read. They write their questions about the text.
• Monitor and Clarify: Tricky Words – Students monitor their own understanding as they read, recording any tricky words they find. They use context clues to infer meaning and then use the dictionary to define the words.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary - Students define each word and then write the words into sentences that show they understand the meanings.
• Onward Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• The Pole! Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What drives people to explore remote places?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each vocabulary word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Suffixes - Students write the spelling words into the correct column, based upon whether each word has a suffix.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the words in alphabetical order.
• Grammar: Simple and Present Verb Tenses - Students underline the verb in each sentence. They color the snowflakes that describe the verb tense.
More supplements available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.