This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 14 (Any Small Goodness). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme – interactive notebook
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Subject-Verb Agreement – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Theme – Students complete the graphic organizer, determining the theme and 3 supporting details.
• Theme: Supporting Details – Students support the given theme (Each of us can make a difference in the world) with 3 supporting details.
• Theme: Supporting Details – Students support the given theme (It is important to help others and our community) with 3 supporting details.
• Visualizing: Picture Summary - Students draw a picture summary of the story. They draw the story events, in order, in the way they visualized them.
• Hyperbole – Students record examples of hyperbole in the text. They explain the hyperbole’s meaning and sketch a visualization influenced by the hyperbole.
• Any Small Goodness Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• The Ball is in Their Court Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can people do to help their communities?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Word Parts - Students write each word into the correct column based upon word part.
• Spelling Practice: Spelling Triangles - Students write the spelling words, one letter at a time, forming the shape of triangles.
• Grammar: Subject-Verb Agreement - Students record examples of verbs in the active and passive voice.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.