This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 15 (Team Moon). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary – interactive notebook
• Style and Tone – interactive notebook (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting each graphic feature, the accompanying text, and how they work together.
• Main Idea and Details – Students write a main idea and two supporting details for each section of text.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words – Students monitor their own understanding as they read, recording any tricky words they find. They use context clues to infer meaning and then use the dictionary to define the words.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Book Recommendation - Students complete the book recommendation, noting the author’s purpose, three facts learned, rate the story, and recommend it to other readers.
• Domain-Specific Vocabulary – Students define each word, note the part of speech, one synonym, and then write the words into sentences that show they understand the meanings. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Team Moon Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• The Woman in the Moon Text Questions – Students complete a story map about the play. The note the characters, setting, and plot.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How has technology helped people learn about earth and space?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Antonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its antonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Final Sound - Students write the spelling words into the correct column, based upon the final sound.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the words in alphabetical order.
• Grammar: Regular and Irregular Verbs - Students underline the past tense verb in each sentence. Then they indicate whether the verb is regular or irregular.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 3:
Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.