This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 16 (The Real Vikings). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Compare and Contrast – interactive notebook
• Main Idea and Details – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast: Graphic Organizer – Students complete the graphic organizer, looking for people, settings, and other details that can be compared and contrasted.
• Compare and Contrast: Supporting Details – Students write paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details that explain two major similarities and differences in the text.
• Summary Writing – Students write a summary of the text. They write the important ideas and supporting details for each section. Topics are provided to help students organize their summary.
• Determining Author’s Purpose - Students determine the author’s purpose for writing the text. They support this purpose with details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details – Students support the author’s purpose (to inform) with details from the text.
• Main Idea and Details - Students determine a main idea from the text and support it with details.
• The Real Vikings Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Poems that Boast Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about the poems. They also think critically about the poems, inferring and making connections.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can learning about history help people today?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its dictionary definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Suffixes - Students sort the spelling words according to suffix.
• Spelling Practice: Create a Word Search - Students write the spelling words in the grid, hiding them among other letters.
• Grammar: Principal Parts of Verbs - Students analyze the table, filling in the missing principal parts.
More supplements available for Unit 4:
Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.