This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 17 (The Emperor’s Silent Army). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Fact and Opinion – interactive notebook
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Figurative Language - coloring (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Text Evidence – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Fact and Opinion – Students complete the graphic organizer, recording examples of facts and opinions from the text.
• Fact and Opinion: Classifying – Students read each sentence from the text and classify it as fact or opinion.
• Asking Questions – Students write their own questions about the text. They are challenged to write complex questions. Then, they trade papers with their neighbors and take turn answering the questions.
• Figurative Language - Students read each example of figurative language and classify it as hyperbole or personification. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• The Emperor’s Silent Army Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can people use clues to learn about ancient history?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Suffixes - Students sort the spelling words according to suffix.
• Spelling Practice: Vowels and Consonants - Students choose two colors and write the spelling words, using different colors for vowels and consonants.
• Grammar: More Kinds of Pronouns - Students underline the pronoun in each sentence and then tell whether it is indefinite, demonstrative, reflexive, intensive, or interrogative.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 4:
Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.