This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 2 (Knots in My Yo-yo String). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Kinds of Sentences - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the author’s purpose for writing the story and providing supporting details.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details (1) – Students support the author’s purpose (to entertain) with details from the text.
• Author’s Purpose: Supporting Details (2) – Students support the author’s purpose (to inform) with details from the text.
• Making Predictions – Student complete the table, writing predictions as they read, as well as the story details that led to their predictions.
• Making Inferences - Students answer questions, inferring about the author’s purpose for writing the story and the influence of the author’s childhood on his writing.
• Point of View – Students answer questions regarding the point of view of the text, as well as the influence the point of view can have in telling a story.
• Knots in My Yo-yo String Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions about Knots in My Yo-yo String. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Sporty Poetry Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions about the poems. They also think critically about the poems, inferring and writing about theme.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “Why is teamwork important?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Vocabulary: Suffixes - Students use their understanding of the meaning of each suffix and base word to define the given words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Long Vowel Sound Sort - Students write the spelling words into the correct columns according to long vowel sound.
• Spelling Practice: Creating a Word Search - Students create a word search by writing the spelling words into a grid and then hiding the words among other letters.
• Grammar: Kinds of Sentences - Students edit each sentence, adding the correct ending punctuation. Then, students color the baseballs according to whether the sentences are declarative, interrogative, imperative, or exclamatory.
More supplements available for Unit 1:
Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.