This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 21 (Alone in the Universe). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Compare and Contrast – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Progressive Forms – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast Organizer – Students complete the graphic organizer, looking for similarities and differences between Debbie and Glenna.
• Compare and Contrast Paragraph Form – Students look for similarities and differences between two important characters in the story. They write the characters’ names, topic sentences, and supporting details.
• Making Predictions – Students complete the table, recording their predictions and story events that helped them to predict.
• Making Inferences - Students complete the table, recording their inferences, as well as the story events and background knowledge that helped them to infer.
• Point of View - Students answer questions about the author’s point of view. They also analyze how the story would have changed if told from a different character’s point of view. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• All Alone in the Universe Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• DNA Detectives Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How does a new friendship affect an old one?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Prefixes - Students write each spelling word in the correct column based upon its prefix (pre- and pro-).
• Spelling Practice: Vowels and Consonants – Students write their spelling words, using two different colors for the vowels and the consonants.
• Grammar: Progressive Forms - Students rewrite a provided sentence using each progressive verb form.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 5:
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.