This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 22 (First to Fly). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Conclusions and Generalizations – interactive notebook
• Main Idea and Details – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Graphic Organizer – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting a conclusion and generalization about the text. They support them with text evidence.
• Supporting Conclusions and Generalizations – Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the provided conclusion and generalization with text evidence.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Paragraph Form – Students provide text evidence that supports each drawn conclusion and generalization.
• Monitor and Clarify: Asking Questions - Students monitor their own understanding of the text. They write any questions they have as they read.
• Monitor and Clarify: Tricky Words - Students monitor their own understanding of the text. They record any tricky words they find while reading. Students use context clues to infer meaning, and then define the words using the dictionary.
• Personification - Students read each example of personification. They underline the personification in each example and explain the meaning.
• First to Fly Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How can trial and error lead to new inventions?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Silent Letters - Students write the spelling words, highlighting each silent letter in the word.
• Spelling Practice: Creating a Word Search – Students create their own word search using the spelling words.
• Grammar: Punctuation and Quotations - Students rewrite the sentences, adding quotation marks, commas, parentheses, and dashes as needed.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 5:
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.