This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 23 (Number the Stars). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect – interactive notebook
• Analyze and Evaluate – interactive notebook
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting causes and effects in the story.
• Complete the Causes and Effects - Provide the cause for each given effect, and the effect for each given cause.
• Understanding Characters – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting how the main character’s words, thoughts, and actions influence the way she responds to challenges. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Number the Stars Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Book Review: Number the Stars Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How did the courageous acts of people in the past affect history?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Suffixes - Students write each spelling word in the correct column based upon its suffix (-ic, -ure, and -ous.)
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order – Students write the spelling words in alphabetical order.
• Grammar: Contractions - Students write the sentences using contractions. They correctly punctuate the words provided and use each contraction in a sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 5:
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.