This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 24 (Harriet Tubman). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the author’s purpose for writing the story. Students support the author’s purpose with details from the text.
• Supporting the Author’s Purpose - Students complete the graphic organizer. They support the given author’s purpose (The author’s purpose is to inform readers about the life of Harriet Tubman) with details from the text.
• Supporting the Author’s Purpose – Students complete the graphic organizer. They support the given author’s purpose (The author’s purpose is to inform readers how Harriet’s bravery and determination helped her achieve her goals) with details from the text.
• Asking Questions - Students record questions they have as they read. The record any answers they find.
• Asking Questions: Writing Complex Questions - Students write their own questions about the story. They categorize their questions into the appropriate boxes, and attempt to write at least 3 complex questions. They trade papers with a classmate and answer their peer’s questions.
• Variations of English - Students record variations of English as they read. They explain the meaning of each variation recorded.
• Harriet Tubman Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Home of the Brave Poetry Connection - Students answer text-dependent questions about the poems. They compare the poems and make connections to their own lives.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “How have people in history worked hard to achieve their goals?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Prefixes - Students write each spelling word in the correct column based upon its prefix (de- and trans-.)
• Spelling Practice: Triangle Words – Students write the spelling words, one letter at a time, so the words take the shape of triangles.
• Grammar: Making Comparisons - Students write the comparative and superlative form of each adjective or adverb.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 5:
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.