This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 26 (Space Trash). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Main Idea and Details – interactive notebook
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Main Idea and Details Web – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting a main idea and six supporting details.
• Main Idea and Details - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting two main ideas and 3 supporting details for each idea.
• Supporting the Main Idea – Students complete the graphic organizer, giving supporting details for the two main ideas provided.
• Writing Complex Questions - Students write their own questions about the text, categorizing each question by its prompt. They attempt to write complex text questions that can be answered by a peer.
• Asking Questions - Students complete the chart, writing questions they have as they read. They read for understanding, attempting to find answers as they read.
• Space Trash Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• How the Milky Way Came to Be Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Poetry Place Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What are some effects of sending objects into place?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the words in alphabetical order.
• Spelling Practice: Triangle Words - Students create triangle words, writing the words one letter at a time so that they take the shape of triangles.
• Grammar: Titles and Abbreviations - Students rewrite each sentence, adding quotation marks and underlining titles as needed. Students also write the meaning of each abbreviation.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 6:
Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials were created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.