This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 27 (Denali Dog Sled Journal). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Conclusions and Generalizations – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Quotations – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations Chart – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting their drawn conclusions and generalizations as they read. Students give the text evidence that influenced their thinking, as well as their own experience.
• Supporting Drawn Conclusions and Generalizations - Students complete the graphic organizer, supporting the draw conclusion and generalization with details from the text.
• Conclusions and Generalizations: Paragraph Form – Students provide text evidence that supports each conclusion or generalization.
• Summary Writing - Students write a summary of the text, organized by date.
• Picture Summary - Students draw a picture summary of six important events in the text.
• Denali Dog Sled Journal Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• A Harsh Land of Beauty Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Poetry Place Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What are some characteristics of extreme climates?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each word to its synonym.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Greek Word Parts - Students write each spelling word into the correct column based upon its word part.
• Spelling Practice: Creating a Word Search - Students create their own word search using the spelling words.
• Grammar: More Quotations - Students write each type of quotation (direct, indirect, divided, and quotations with exclamation and question marks). They creatively write the quotations based upon what a character in the text may have said.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 6:
Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials were created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.