This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 28 (Vanishing Act). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Analyze and Evaluate: Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary – interactive notebook
• Grammar: Commas in Sentences - interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters: Response to a Challenge – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting how the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions influence the way she responds to a challenge.
• Understanding Characters: Character Change Over Time - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting how the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions influence the way she changes over time.
• Supporting Details: Understanding a Character’s Response to a Challenge – Students provide text evidence about the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions that helps to explain their response to a problem.
• Supporting Details: Understanding a Character’s Change Over Time - Students provide text evidence about the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions that helps to explain their change over time.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Tricky Words - Students analyze their own understanding of the text. They note any tricky words or phrases they find. They use context clues to define the words, followed by the dictionary.
• Analyze and Evaluate: Book Recommendation - Students complete a book recommendation about the story.
• Vanishing Act Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• The Smart Swarm Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Poetry Place Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What impact do insects have on human life?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to complete each sentence with the correct vocabulary word.
• Vocabulary: Dictionary Definitions - Students match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Greek Latin Parts - Students write each spelling word into the correct column based upon its word part.
• Spelling Practice: Alphabetical Order - Students write the spelling words in alphabetical order.
• Grammar: Commas in a Sentence - Students lift the flaps and write examples of commas with introductory words and phrases, commas in a series, and commas with appositives.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements for Unit 6:
Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials were created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.