This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 6th grade.
for all Journeys 6th Grade lessons and BUNDLES available in my store!
This Journeys Grade 6 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 4 (The ACES Phone). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Structure– interactive notebook
• Style and Tone – interactive notebook (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure– Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the main characters, setting, and plot.
• Characterization – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the main characters, setting, and plot.
• Monitor/Clarify – Students complete the graphic organizer, monitoring their own understanding of the text. They write any questions they have as they read.
• Style and Tone – Students write about 4 given topics in a way that showcases each of the following tones: sadness, anger, excitement, and fearfulness. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• The ACES Phone Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions about The ACES Phone. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Silent Noise Text Questions – Students answer text-dependent questions. They need access to the text in order to provide evidence for their thinking.
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What is the difference between hearing and listening?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – Word Wall Words are provided for teachers wanting to hang the selection vocabulary on their focus wall.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing - Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Students complete the table, using the glossary to define each vocabulary word. Then, they write sentences using the vocabulary words, showing they understand each word’s meaning.
• Vocabulary: Synonyms - Students match each vocabulary word to its synonym.
• Vocabulary: Prefixes - Students use their understanding of the meaning of each prefix to match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling Practice: 3 Times Each – Students write the spelling words three times each.
• Spelling Practice: Vowel +r Sort - Students write the spelling words into the correct columns according to the vowel +r sound.
• Spelling Practice: Writing Triangle Words - Students write their spelling words, one letter at a time, so that they take the shape of triangles.
• Grammar: Common and Proper Nouns - Students complete the table, adding common or proper nouns, as needed.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 6th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More supplements available for Unit 1:
Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.